Friday, October 31, 2008

giggles and glasses

Ok so first off I just want to say that I love working with kids and honestly, i think its gotta be boring for people who talk on the phone all day at work....i'm not thinkin' I could do that for 50 hours of my life a week! I seriously think I would go insane!

Well, with that being said...lol...I am really noticing how kids can get hurt from parents. I guess b/c of being a social work major and finally being able to observe behaviors I have learned about in classes..I find it interesting but also sad. Its so different observing the behaviors rather than living them. I can't see it as a professional issue with me being on the outside looking in but rather it becomes a personal issue for me when I see one of my students struggling or hurting...its more of a passion I guess. I am finding that most of working with kids is being empathetic...for me its not a job, but I am realizing how much of a passion I have for kids. Lol something I didn't want to do when I was in high school: working with kids.

To be honest I got hurt today and mad at the same time...I wanted to cry and almost did...Today, 10.31.08, Chloe (one of my 1st grade students) turned 8 years old (Korean). It is common for the mom to bring a cake to school, maybe show up, and have a party at the school. Well, Chloe's parents didn't do anything...no cake...nothing. To be honest, its not that surprising b/c they normally don't attend school graduations or parent day's for her. However, it ripped my heart out when she told me several times today that her mom was not coming to school or bringing a cake.
Chloe is such a cute little girl! She is spunky and has the most amazing laugh ever. Its pretty awesome how God created children to be so resiliant that amidst the dumb things adults do which can really effect kids, for the most part, they will not be as hurt as if it was an adult/ adult situation but try to brush it off....like Chloe: throwing her head back and forth giggling while her glasses are coming off. : )

I was supposed to go to Seoul today for a teacher's meeting but ended up staying with Chloe b/c of her bday. I am REALLY glad I was able to not attend the meeting so I could stay with Chloe. WE had a great time! A few of the ladies at school decorated a room just for her bday. They gave her a princess sceptor with a real rose, bought her a cake, and we celebrated. There were only a few of us there for Chloe's small party (8-10), but we made a huge deal about it...then there was Chloe with her huge smile, red glasses, and laugh showing the adults in the room that life throws you curve balls....its not always what you planned it to be, but to hang on and share your laughter with somebody else no matter your circumstance.

Happy Birthday Chloe!!!!

1 comment:

Ally said...

I love the title of your blog. I have a tattoo that says "Love God, Love People." Haha...