About a month ago, as I opened the door of the van and stepped out, the sound of bells and chants greeted me. The occasion?It was Buddha's birthday and beside the orphanage, where I was, there was a temple. This was not my first encounter with a Buddhist temple, however, hearing the chants, and the sounds of people worshiping took me back...
Previously I had gone to Seoul with some other teachers and a friend from church. We were on a Korean tour excursion! It was exciting to see the palace, the "green house" (the President's home), and visit the famous restaurants we did! It was truly a fun experience! This fun time was suddenly put on halt, as we stopped at a Buddhist temple.
The burning smell of incense, and a musty building greeted me. I was stunned with what I saw. I took off my shoes and took about four steps further when I stopped. It was as if I was frozen. I could not speak. Before my eyes was a sight I had only heard about and seen pictures of. It was something I knew about, but it all seemed so foreign and shocking to me. Four people were performing a ritual. Bowing and chanting in a specific posture and rhythm towards a statue of a man sitting down. Buddha was embellished with gold and surrounded by food. The praises of his subjects were echoing through the room.
I stood there in disbelief, with only one response. This response to the environment in which I had presently found myself in sent chills through my body and an aching and pain in the deepest part of my soul. As I stood there lifeless with tears rolling down my cheeks, I was reminded of Christ's awesome grace and love. I was reminded of the brokenness and the need which surrounded me day in and day out. This need is one that surrounds every individual everyday. It's the need which each human being craves and struggles to find the answer too. This need is one of a savior, a healer, a restorer, and comforter.
In America, this need is often sought after through money, work, success, material possessions, friends, popularity, significant others, and the list goes on....and on...In Korea, although quite culturally different from America, the thread of all humanity which surpasses cultural differences was strongly displayed. It is the same need as that in America, but shown in a way that appeals to those on the Eastern side of the world. Still, the same craving to have an anchor for life and stability was present and thriving in that room.
My heart began to break as I realized that these individuals were worshiping one they could see, but not experience, talk too but who could not talk back, and touch but could not return affection. In that moment, I wanted to tell them of Christ. No, you can not touch him, but you can feel his presence, no, you can not see him, but you can see His power displayed through out all creation. His affection towards every individual is more than one can fathom. It is a love story which can never be repealed. It's stamp on history, and in an individual's life when accepted, is an indescribable and powerful, life-changing event. It is not one of question. Yes, you can talk to Him and He will talk back. This Jesus I am speaking of offers life and renewal for every individual. In every circumstance. In every land of the whole world.
If you are reading this, may you be reminded of your brokenness, your need for the everlasting arms of a Savior, and the perseverance to find the Truth and your fulfillment in Him. That you might conquer your need and want of fulfillment in material possessions, money, fame, friends, etc. and become complete, fulfilled and satisfied as you rest in the arms of the One who died for you. The One who holds your brokenness in His hands, and who is asking you if He can take your pain, heal your heart, and allow Him to substitute your human desire of a "money- savior" with Him, the eternal Savior. May He be your Rock, Fortress, and Anchor for your soul as you march through the torrents of life.
Peace,
Krissy
"May mercy, peace, and love be lavished on you!" -Jude 1:2
No comments:
Post a Comment