Sunday, August 17, 2008

As of lately...

This is where I teach! All Nations Christian Academy (ANCA) The view from the school. Yangpyeong has been described to me as the country....there are a lot of rice fields and the two way roads are the size of one way roads in America. lol That definitely makes riding in a car very interesting...lol
Eugene, Evan, and James
"Sanchongsa" (spelling is off I am sure..lol) Ye-rim is my left while Lucia is on my right. The second day I was teaching, Ye-Rim pointed to us three and said Sanchongsa which translates to three musketeers in English.


The Famous Tubby and one of my students, Ted.

These are a few of my students....Dylan has Tubby on his head...Evan is the one with his arms against the board, and Henry is the last boy on the right. lol Jennifer is the one doing the peace signs : )
I think we were playing Bingo...


This is when we were lost coming back from Seoul on Saturday...hahaha now that was an experience...lol I had just bought this hula hoop for children's church.....David B. and Yoon definitely broke it...lol..oi vey..way too much male bonding going on for me these days..lol



I think Yoon is pointing to Yangpyeog on the map....where we needed to be.....but we seriously had no clue where we were..lol
Dinner at my neighbors house on Saturday night...Ella is wearing the black and Esther is in the middle. They both have children at ANCA...Esther is administration at the school and does a great job : )
This is Erin, Esther's daughter!!! Esther and I went out to coffee with Eunice (don't have a photo yet) to talk about children's church. On the way to Ella's house Erin and I wen to my house to drop things off before heading over. Well, long story short...Erin found my shoes : ) She is also one of my students. She was also very surprised that Americans wear their shoes in the house.
These were Erin's favorite shoes that I have...so we took a photo with out feet : )


Once again, there is so much to share....however, I have not done a "real" blog in awhile so I guess it is time. #1 Teaching: It is going great! I am actually enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I finished my second week of teaching on Thursday and will begin the last and final week for the summer camp this Friday. The grades I am teaching varies because it is an English summer camp school.






The children are amazing! I love working with them and we have a lot of fun..especially with Tubby...the stuffed TY beanie baby hippo. Tubby has now kind of become the school pet. Even kids who aren't in my class love to play with Tubby...lol unfortunately I am not sure how long Tubby will last..he is getting very dirty these days and has been washed several times by the kids in the bathroom sink. As far as the difference in American schools and what I have seen at ANCA it is different. At lunch time every child has to clean his plate and we all eat the same thing. It makes life so much easier for the lunch lady I am sure! ALso, I have not heard one complaint about the food...the kids all seem to pretty much like it. I have learned that the language barrier does not matter at times. However, I desperately wish I could speak Korean. When it comes to getting to know the kids it is hard because for the most part a lot of them know basic conversational English. That just gives me more of an opportunity to love on them by playing outside or running around the school chasing them on my lunch break.






Something I had encountered here which I love so much MORE than America is the hospitality and graciousness of the Korean people. There are two families who's children attend ANCA and are our neighbors. They have invited us over for dinner the past two Saturday nights. Not only is the food amazing (pretty healthy too) but they are great people to be with and I love it. I know this is a shocker for me to say....but Korean hospitality is better than Southern hospitality....by far.






I am also adjusting to not being so busy with a ton of activities...being back in the States, as many of you know, I was always busy and always seemed to have a million and one things to do. I am actually relaxing these days and enjoying it! Its a nice break to not be working so much...literally around the clock with school, as well as work.






I have picked up something else other than teaching though...children's church. Prior to me coming the church had a Sunday School where the teachers taught a Bible verse in English to the kids. After having a meeting, the teachers decided that something else needed to be done because the kids were not understanding the verse being taught in English...which because of this situation led to children's church. Which I am very stoked about! The kids have a Bible lesson in Korean for a half hour...after that the other Sunday school teachers and English teachers have activities and games for them. This is what I will be working on besides teaching: organizing this hour of church...Today was the first Sunday and it went very well. It is great to have teachers who know how to play instruments! One of the teachers, David A., played the guitar and led the kids in praise and worship. Once that was finished, I talked to the kids about prayer a little bit and what it means to pray. Esther, who works at the school translated so the kids could understand. After prayer we went into playing games and the kids really seemed to enjoy them. So if anyone has and crazy, fun games they would like to share with me please let me know!!!! Another thing we are going to incorporate into service time will be a missions project. This project will help the kids see what is going on in other parts of the world and do something to participate in missions. The goal of this ministry is to focus on prayer, worship, and missions. I am very excited to see what God is going to do in these kids lives! It is going to be great to see how this ministry explodes with children who have passion to serve God through missions, prayer, and worship. Please pray for this ministry that God would provide unity among all those involved in leading it, as well as, resources.






Oh, I also must mention that I am the rose among the thorns (yes, David if you are reading this that is definitely what I meant! lol). I say this because I am the only female teacher....other than the two other ladies who are married. I have to say though that after hanging out with four guys most of the time I am holding my own quite well! I need to learn some more come backs...but umm Yoon has a few battle scars....lol I guess he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time..lol. But, no, it seriously has been great hanging out with the boys, however, I am excited to get some more estrogen around here when Esther comes in a week! I will also have a roomie to share my house with...which will be nice : )






Sorry, about the long post...I guess that is what happens when I don't blog for awhile...lol. Well guys I hope all is going great in y'alls part of the world! I am trying to keep up with posting pictures and blogging but you all probably know that I am not too great with that so...sorry if it takes a while. : ( I am going to bed so good night and peace out!!!

1 comment: