It is Sunday afternoon. I have just come back from a great service, preached by Mr. David Bustos, a super fun children's church that went well, and really great food for lunch. Also, this afternoon I had the chance, along with two other teachers, to sit down and listen to Pastor Sean. Sean is a dentist...curently he runs a successful, English hogwon about 20 minutes away from Yongpyeong.
He was sitting at the pre school table where we were eating lunch, sharing his vision for the country of Ghana in Africa. God gave him this vision fifteen years ago, but he has not been able to go to Africa and fulfil this calling. His vision is to start a middle school in a village 6.5 hours outside the capital city. There are no middle schools in the area for about 40 km. It is also 99% muslim, but he wants to start a school there to reach these families with the Gospel. He was telling us stories of how God has shown His favor on this project. It is incredible to hear! Sadly, several mission organizations are encouraging him not to go as an occupations minsitry, but use his M.Div degree and preach. He will preach some there too, but it is sad that these organizations are discouraging him from using his dentristry skills and other practical skills as a tool to reach people.
From listening to him talk and hearing about his life for the past fifteen years I was reminded that occupational missionaries, in my opinion, often times have more opportunities to share the gospel b/c it is through relationship building. This is something that goes through any culture...a thread throughout all humanity: trust must be built, a foundation must be laid for people to want to listen to you. Think of the ways people are ministered daily too by having basic needs met! Look at the many doors that is opening for people in not only Ghana, but many other African countries. Okay...I'll get off my soapbox now.. :)
The next thing I was impressed with was his vision. God gave him the vision fifteen years ago. Throughout these fifteen years, Sean did not lose his passion for Ghana or lose sight of what God called him to do. Throughout these fifteen years, God has been molding him and preparing him for the adventure which will start in 6 months for Sean and his family. Wow!
I was reminded of my calling...to do missions work. I often think about my school loans and other things that I see which are "holding me back". However, are they truly "holding me back" or is it the preparation time God wants me to experience... prior to me going full time into ministry. Now is my time to prepare. I think about these past 10.5 months. I have learned so much and grown a lot. The calling God has on my life currently is not any less important than what He has called me to do on the mission field. It is the same. It is God's will for my life right now.
So, as I leave you with these thoughts and ponderings of my own, I am saying all this to say that God will have His way in His timing. Travel one step at a time. God called you in the first place and He doesn't forget that long term vision or goal. What you are doing now may be preperation for the long term vision or goal. Continue on, persevere, and do not lose sight of the vision. Live your calling now, as it is just as important as the long term, seemingly unreachable dream that burns in your soul. However, you will reach that dream as you continue in yourpursuit of your Master.
God Bless,
Krissy
2 comments:
I am Zachary's grandmother, and I would like to thank your school for the donation for my nephew's bike ride for hemophilia. I was stunned to see a donation from so far away. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
My students greatly enjoyed giving and learning about the illness. They were shocked to hear about the age the disease effects, but so excited they could help out as much as they could. They enjoyed "meeting" him from the youtube video as well and were full of questions. God Bless!
Post a Comment